Friday, May 7, 2010

Don't Stand on the Dog


The only blip in our otherwise wonderful family vacation last week was that Ri became sick on the flight down and the threw-up all over herself and me. As I saw it happening, I instinctively put my hands out to catch it, pickle chunks and all. While not so funny at the time, we have since laughingly retold the story to family and friends. My aunt Ellen asked if I could have imagined myself sitting on a plane holding my kid’s puke 4 years ago. Umm, “NO!”

Of course, lots of things are different now.


Before I was the mommy...

I rolled my eyes when seated near a small child on an airplane or in a restaurant. Now I am so much more empathetic toward the parents. If I’m ever seated near child on a plane who becomes sick like mine did, I hereby vow not to be disgusted and look away, but to jump up and ask the flight attentendant to bring towels and garbage bags ASAP. I thank you kind lady who was seated across the aisle from us.


I did not know the words to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.

I had never said “Honey don’t stand on the dog, it’s ouchy for him”.

I had never held a conversation about the color and frequency of poop.

I had never been asked to explain why the sky was blue, the dog was yellow or any of the other thousand questions I’m asked on a daily basis.

I did not know who the Backyardigans or Wonder Pets were nor could I sing their theme songs.

I had never been used as a human Kleenex.

Most importantly, I didn’t truly know the depth of love and joy that being the mommy and having a family would bring into my life.



I just have one question: Why can’t they ever throw-up on the Daddy? =)


No comments:

Post a Comment